EP NowStoreAcademySupportCommunityProducts by Country
Blog Home

Tax and Compliance: What to Know About Working with a Loan-Out Company

Learn which states impose a tax on loan-outs and what steps you need to take to be compliant with state laws related to loan-out workers.
May 23, 2023

Becky Harshberger

Many productions use loan-outs to bring on talent or crew. While these service contracts place significantly less tax burden on productions when it comes to payroll tax, some states impose a state tax on loan-out payments, and productions must follow several steps to be compliant. So, what are loan-outs, and which states have special laws that apply to them?

This post will explain what a loan-out is, how one works, and what productions need to do to proactively remain compliant with state loan-out laws across the US.

A brief explanation of loan-outs

Loan-out corporationss allow productions to hire positions—typically actors or department heads—through a separate company rather than hiring the individual directly as an employee. Loan-outs are set up as a separate legal entity (a C or S corporation or LLC, taxed as a C or S Corporation) and are hired via a contract that’s signed by both the production and the business entity the worker is employed through (the owner of the loan-out). Both parties agree to terms, including the scope, type and duration of work, and rate of pay, before signing.

Advantages of employing a loan-out benefit both the crew member and the production:

  • Talent or department managers hired through a loan-out benefit from certain tax advantages. For example, these workers can deduct business expenses and take advantage of certain tax credits that are not available to direct-hire production employees. However, a loan-out worker is responsible for managing their own business expenses and filing taxes as a separate legal entity.
  • On the production side, hiring contract workers through a loan-out reduces a production’s liability and administrative burdens, passing payroll tax, benefits and other employee-related expense obligations to the loan-out company. However, productions do have some legal reporting obligations in certain states, and that’s what we’re going to talk about now.


States that impose tax for loan-outs

Ten states—including Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, and Puerto Rico—impose loan-out taxes. Most require loan-outs to register with the Department of Revenue, Secretary of State, or both, prior to working with a production in that location.

In order for non-resident performing artist loan-out companies to qualify for the production company’s incentive, tax needs to be deducted from payments. And it’s the loan-out owner’s responsibility to register their company with applicable entities within the state or territory.

Here’s how each applicable state manages loan-out requirements for film incentives:

  • Colorado imposes a 4.40% work state withholding tax. If you’re employing a loan-out in Colorado, call tax support at (818-489-7333) or taxsupport@ep.com for help with setup.
  • Georgia imposes a 5.75% tax and requires loan-outs to register with the GA Department of Revenue using their Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). Productions employing loan-outs in Georgia must give EP access to their ‘Misc WH account.’
  • Hawaii imposes a 4.50% tax (4% in Maui) and requires loan-outs to register with both the Hawaii Department of Taxation and the Secretary of the State. EP needs your production company name and associated FEIN, full mailing address, as well as the Hawaii Department of Taxation account number and each loan-out’s General Excise Tax (GET) number.
  • Louisiana imposes a 4.25% tax but does not require loan-outs to register with the Department of Revenue or Secretary of State, or use the loan-outs FEIN to pay or deposit the withholding tax. Withholding tax will be reported using your film incentive account. 
  • Massachusetts imposes a 5.00% tax which increases to 9% after the loan-out is paid $1 million dollars. Loan-out companies must register with the Massachusetts Department of Revenue and the Secretary of State. Loan-out tax is managed using the production’s MA account number and project name.
  • Mississippi imposes a 5.00% tax, which is reported under the payroll provider’s account. No loan-out registration or FEIN is required.
  • Montana imposes a 6.90% tax. Loan-outs must register with the Montana Department of Revenue but not the Secretary of State. EP will need your production number as well as your certificate letter of approval from the Montana film incentive administrator and the affiliated certificate number.
  • New Jersey imposes a 6.37% tax and requires loan-outs to register with the New Jersey Division of Taxation and Secretary of State. Productions must provide EP with the production account number, the pin number used to access the account, your FEIN, and the name of your production company.
  • New Mexico imposes a 5.90% tax and requires loan-outs to register with both the New Mexico Department of Taxation and Revenue and the NM Secretary of the State. EP will need your production company name and associated FEIN, full mailing address, and Department of Taxation account number, and each loan-outs General Excise Tax (GET) number.
  • Puerto Rico imposes a 20% tax. Loan-out companies are not required to submit any state business filing. Tax reporting is handled within our EP account. 
Woman budgeting laptop.jpg

States that impose tax on loan-outs who neglect to register

Three additional states—California, North Carolina, and South Carolina—impose a tax on loan-outs only if they don’t register with the Secretary of State.

  • California imposes a 7% tax on loan-outs that do not register with the CA Secretary of State but does not require loan-out withholding for registered businesses.
  • North Carolina imposes a 4.75% tax on loan-out companies that do not register with the NC Secretary of State.
  • South Carolina imposes a 2% tax on loan-out companies that do not register with the Secretary of State.

It’s important to note that loan-outs should not register with the Secretary of State if the production that the company is hired by is using a North Carolina or South Carolina film incentive.

States that require loan-out wage payment withholding

Lastly, three states—Kentucky, Illinois, and Pennsylvania—require loan-outs to register with the state for film incentive purposes and to withhold tax on wage payments made to the owner.

  • In Kentucky, each loan-out has to register with the Department of Revenue and Secretary of State. Loan-outs also have to manage Kentucky employee payroll withholding and remit deposits. Loan-out companies must fill out this form and give it to the production once filming ends.
  • Illinois requires loan-outs to register with both the Department of Revenue and the Secretary of State. The production may use state registration information to monitor loan-out employee wage and tax reporting.
  • Pennsylvania requires loan-outs to register with both the PA Department of Revenue and the Secretary of State. The production may use state registration information to monitor loan-out employee wage and tax reporting.

Loan-out withholding is nuanced, but EP can help

As you can see, the way loan-out taxes are imposed and managed in different states varies greatly. Protect yourself from making errors by enlisting the help of EP’s tax experts to help you manage, simplify, and streamline all your payroll tax needs—including loan-out taxes. Click here to learn more.

This blog contains general information we are providing on a subject that may be of interest to you. Nothing in this blog should be considered tax advice. You should consult with your tax or legal advisors regarding the applicability of any of these rules to your specific circumstances and how best to handle them.

Related Content

Operating a Loan-Out in Canada: A How-to Guide

What production workers need to know about setting up and operating a loan-out corporation in Canada.
Topic: Canada
Woman using a blue and black calculator

Multi-State W2s: Taking Credit for Work State Taxes

Tax filing guidance for production workers employed in multiple states in the same tax year.
Pre-employment Checks to Consider Before Contracting Crew on UK Productions

Pre-employment Checks to Consider Before Contracting Crew on UK Productions

A comprehensive overview of the checks you may like to consider when crewing up on UK productions and what...
Topic: Legal
EP Blog_SQUARE_Work v Resident W4

Work State vs. Resident State W-4s: Stay Compliant and Avoid Overtaxation

Key things production workers need to consider to ensure filing the appropriate W-4 in their work and...
Master Series_Square_Tax Considerations Abroad

Tax Considerations for US Productions Working Abroad

Paying US crew filming outside of the US is complex. Our experts will show you how to navigate the...
One woman and one man smiling

Conquering Compliance: Paid Sick Leave

Learn why paid sick leave compliance is so important, and how EP can help manage the complexities for...
Topic: Legal

Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Opportunities

Learn about Minnesota's new incentive program, dynamic locations, strategies for boosting crew training...

Conquering Compliance: Workers' Compensation

Workers' comp claims can be long, complicated and expensive! Learn how EP's dedicated team can help manage...
Topic: Legal

Conquering Compliance: Form I-9 Changes

FAQ's about the I-9 verification process and the new form employers must begin using November 1, 2023.
Topic: Legal
Disability Insurance

State-by-State Guide to Disability Insurance for Production Accountants

A comprehensive overview of State Disability Insurance (SDI) and how these figures impact production...

New BTL Training Program Launches in New Zealand and Australia

Entertainment Partners powered by Moneypenny is set to provide much-needed below the line training...
EP Blog_SQUARE_Brian Freesh

Meet the Steadicam Operator

A conversation with Brian Freesh (‘Babylon,’ ‘Gaslit,’ ‘American Ninja Warrior’)

Meet the Director

A conversation with Brian Dannelly ('Saved,' 'Pushing Daisies,' 'Queer as Folk')
Bloomberg tax logo-Newsroom-Thumbnail

Preparation and Tact Are Keys to Promptly Resolving Tax Notices

Preparation is essential to quickly resolving employment tax notices and avoiding often long and...
Blog_SQUARE_NY Diversity Incentive

New York Takes Steps to Promote Diversity in Film, Television and Commercial Production

New legislation in the empire state aims to require production companies to report diversity hiring data,...
EP legal and compliance: Proposed changes to IR35 for productions

Proposed Changes to IR35 Rules: What They Mean for Productions

Proposed changes to the UK IR35 rules could end the double-tax headache that has plagued both production...
Topic: Legal

Meet the Production Coordinator

A conversation with Tim Smith ('The Good Doctor,' ‘Okja,' 'Blair Witch')
Bloomberg tax logo-Newsroom-Thumbnail

Remote Work Increases Complexity of Compliance

Employers should be aware of compliance issues beyond income tax when dealing with US domestic remote...

3 Common Pitfalls to Avoid When Performing Right to Work Checks

Make sure you’re following the UK right to work rules when contracting and paying film and TV production...
Topic: Legal
Advance your career with EP Academy_sq

Advance Your Production Career with the EP Academy

From production accounting basics to technology certifications, EP’s online courses offer one-of-a-kind...
PGGB and Entertainment Partners: Step up to Production Accountant

Entertainment Partners Supports PGGB’s Step Up to Production Accountant Programme

Supporting UK crew transitioning to production accountant roles, Entertainment Partners sponsors the...
Screen Alliance Wales

Entertainment Partners Announced as Official Sponsor of Screen Alliance Wales

EP sponsors Screen Alliance Wales, a leading not-for-profit which grows and promotes the talent, crew and...

Meet the Stunt Coordinator

A Conversation with Jason Rodriguez ('Yellowstone,' 'The Last Castle,' 'Iron Man')

ScreenSkills Launches Movie Magic Training Programme for UK HETV Professionals

Entertainment Partners supports ScreenSkills’ training programme to upskill UK HETV professionals on Movie...

The Production Accountant’s Guide to Foreign Taxation

Answers to common questions about tax treaties, tax codes and how paying foreign taxes can impact US...

Payroll & Finances

PayrollResidualsSmartStartSmartTimeProduction PortalEP On LocationSmartAccountingEP LiveSmartPOCASHétPayPaymaster Rate GuideEP Residency

Manage Multiple Productions

Subscribe now

Be an industry insider with EP's
newsletters and alerts

LegalPrivacy NoticeSecurity
© 2023 Entertainment Partners. All rights reserved.